Jolene Alley

Marketing Education
Alamance-Burlington School System
May 2010

Familar Advice

I remember my Grandma Fuller saying “You have to learn it before you can teach it.” 

She was referring to her upcoming Sunday school lesson but knowing that her mother was a “one-room” school teacher, I knew this truth had been ingrained to her by her mother.

Students as Teachers

Teaching is my second career after 15 years in the business/marketing environments.  I have learned methods of teaching from college courses, career development workshops, and my colleagues.  However, I have found that the best methods I have learned have come from the students themselves, my audience.

Partnering with Students

Often students feel classroom instruction is forced on them instead of designed for them. Students need to be active participants in their education.

To this end, my hope is that by partnering with my students to develop their learning environment each student will create a sense of ownership in the class, will achieve higher scores on state and classroom assessments, and gain a sense of “team” that makes them more responsible to the group.

Little Research about High School Peer Teaching

My search for evidence of other educators testing student-directed methods or peer-teaching was very limited. 

The studies found dealt with college students who experienced peer-teaching as being taught by a graduate student or an upper classman who had previously completed the course.  None of the studies documented had high school students as their subjects. 

Therefore, my results will add a new area to the current library of research, and possibly serve as a beginning for others who wish to pursue this area of research.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this portfolio is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.