Online Identity Plan

Twenty years ago, an online identity could not make or break your relationships with friends, partners or co-workers, because most people did not have a computer let alone instant access to the internet. With the great power of being able to view and communicate with complete strangers online comes the responsibility to present yourself at your best.

In the following pages, I’ll not only analyze my current online identity but present an outline and timeline to remove content that does not illustrate my abilities or interest for content that does. By following through with this plan, my goal is that I present myself as an individual who is taken seriously for her interest in public relations and create a habit of only adding content to the internet that establishes that interest.

Current Online Identity

Search Results: Google Search Engine

To begin analyzing my current online identity, I began by inserting my first and last name into the one of the most popular search engines: Google. The screenshot to the right illustrates the first ten locations Google revealed. Of those ten, only four are me.

The first link is to my LinkeIn site. I have forty connections, but I have not updated the site since 2010, as illustrated by my last stated job.

The YouTube video on NASA Funds was posted in 2011; in my twenty-eight second debut I comment unclearly on a question I cannot recall for a friend in a film class.

My Twitter account (BEWheatley_) is beginning to see more action since taking Writing Technologies, but it’s main purpose is still for class. Since I created an account in at the beginning of 2012, I’ve posted nineteen tweets. I follow one hundred and seventy-one individuals and organization (and I’m followed by thirty-nine). Those I follow range from organizations fighting to send modern slavery to book characters from the Harry Potter series. Most of my followers, however, are into marketing, digital branding and public relations.

My Pinterest account (bwheatley2) has eleven categories, none of which relate to the profession of my interest. In addition I’ve only ever repinned, so none of my categories reflect what I can do and over half have no new commentary of my own. I follow 41 other Pinterest sites and have 12 followers, all of whom are friends from Facebook.

Overall Representation

Taking in the results from the first couple pages of each search engine, I feel that my online identity isn’t completely invisible, but I am in fair competition with several other girls with whom I share the same name. This isn’t surprising as neither my first or last name are uncommon and my first name was in the top ten girls names to be used in 1990. Below is a screenshot from a Facebook search of “Brittany Wheatley”, myself coming in fifth place. Just by looking at the “Activities and Interests” section you could conclude me to be about fifteen-years-old; although clicking the link opens the way to more interests that suggest that I’m not in high school.

Just the analysis of my interest section of Facebook summarizes what my current online identity appears to reflect: that I am a high school girl rather than a twenty-one and about to graduate from college. This reflection not only results from a disinterest in establishing myself seriously online, but a reluctance to post too much of myself online.

The other girls I’m competing with for an online presences with are very personal with their use of the internet, and although there is nothing that could destroy mine (or their) reputations, it’s obvious that they don’t see their online identities as something that should be representative of their skills (for example, one Brittany posted a vide or her friends in a two minute cat fight.) After viewing the current content, what I’d like most to change about my current online identity is how my interests are presented.

Plan for Reconstruction of Online Identity

Current Content to be Removed

The major content I’d like to remove is the video of me commenting on NASA. At the time I was recorded I did not understand the debate going on, and the video recording shows me as being unfamiliar with the subject as well as confused in my opinion. 

Content to be Generated

Having reflected that my overall representation online is that of a high school student, my interest is in generating new content that focuses on establishing my interest in public relations, my experience in client work and skills in professional writing and communications.

Timeline for Reconstruction

September

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

W 12, F14

Complete online identity

Request for deletion of video

Comment on FB, relate to PR

Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 17, W 19, F 21

Check on request for deletion of video

Edit Facebook account

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 24, W 26, F 28

Edit LinkedIn account

Check on request for deletion of video

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

October

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

M 01, W 03, F 05

Analyze changes in the online identity

Edit Pinterest

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 08, W 10

Post on Pinterest

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

W 17, F 19

Update LinkedIn

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 22, W 24, F 26

Post on Pinterest

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 29, W 31

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

November

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

F 02

Post on Pinterest

Analyze changes in the online identity

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 05, W 07, F 09

Post on Pinterest

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR

M 12, W 14, F 16

Post on Pinterest

2x Comment on FB, relate to PR

2x Comment on Twitter, relate to PR