Analyze 

Practicing rhetoric involves more than just the ability to shape an argument, but also the ability to create an argument.

By analyzing the facts of any given situation, one is able to form an opinion. In the hands of a skilled rhetor, the application of persuasive appeals (ethos, logos, and pathos) and careful consideration of the contingencies surrounding a situation's rhetorical context influence the evolution from opinion to well-crafted argument. A well-crafted argument suits its intended purpose and serves to influence the audience of the opinion presented in the argument, regardless of the mode of delivery.

In this section of my portfolio, I included pieces that attest to my ability to articulate my opinion, based on my analyses of an experience, a theoretical situation, an academic challenge, and a novel. The four pieces are from four fundamentally different discourse communities: Elon’s school newspaper The Pendulum, a political science class, a blog, and a professional writing and rhetoric class. Although the expectations of the pieces were very different, I was able to successfully apply the analytical abilities I’ve developed over the course of my studies of rhetoric.