Create

To produce a document means more than to just write words on a page; the writer must also consider the visual appeal of the document. One must think critically about how integrating design methods can be just as persuasive as the textual material.

The possibilities in document design are endless; there are unlimited combinations of font, color, images, white space, and other design elements to apply when creating a document.  However, with so many options, it becomes even more important for the writer and creator to make deliberate and thoughtful choices. The integration of elements of design must entail careful consideration of how, and if, the various elements compliment each other visually and how they serve to add to, rather than take away from, the document's content. The decisions must be made based on analysis of the audience and context of the situation for which it is created.

The documents I included in this section, both created collaboratively and individually, had a significant aesthetic component to address.  The first document is a flyer I created at the beginning of my PWR career in CUPID Studio for an on campus event. The second is an advertisement I created for my final exam in Corporate Publishing. The third is a newsletter created during my second enrollment in CUPID Studio; it was for the American Studies program. Designing each document presented a different set of expectations and challenges, all of which I felt capable of addressing because of my knowledge of the power of rhetoric in aesthetics and design.