Context

When I first arrived at WMAR, I had to take time to learn how to write for newscasts. My supervisor had me write practice scripts that we could go over to make sure I understood how writing for air is different than writing for print. I wrote five or six practice scripts that we discussed. It took me awhile to get used to their type of writing, but after continuing to practice and reading the scripts that the producers and anchors wrote, I finally developed a style that was similar to WMAR's. My supervisor gave me a small script to write about Netflix pairing with DreamWorks to create an original series that would only air on the site. After doing research and getting comfortable with the information, I wrote my first script for air. 

Rhetorical Strategies

All my classes have taught me how to be a dynamic writer, able to change my style depending on the situation. The purpose of writing scripts is simple: to inform the audience about what is going on locally, nationally, and internationally. Since WMAR is just a small station, they want to inform the viewers about things that may be relevant to their lives. WMAR's main demographic is females, ages 25-40. 

Through oganizationally situated the action, the newstation is able to run smoothly. It is obvious that, in order to put on a seamless and cohesive show, everyone in the professional environment needs to be working towards a common goal. I personally took the time to get socialized into the situation by adapting and learning about their goals, values, and appropriate behaviors of the organization. Each individual at the station has a job that meets the organizations needs and as those needs change, the individuals change. But, the message shapes the writer as much as it is shaped by the writer.

This is evident in script writing and multimedia packages from the field. In script writing, producers, anchors, and interns all write differently. However, it is important for individuals to realize who is reading the script, and to adapt to the way they like to read to the audience. For example, one of the anchors, Jamie, prefers to have a lot of build up to the stories he is about to tell. Whereas, Kelly, the other anchor or more matter of fact and likes to get right into the story.

The next and probably most important aspect of the writing process is reporting the news clearly. It is important to write simply for newscasts. But, it is also important to consider pathos, logos, and ethos when writing scripts. I would use pathos to invoke sympathy from the audience or to make the audience feel what what I or the anchor wanted them to feel. And, logos was used to cite facts and statistics. Finally, since WMAR is an ABC affiliate, ethos was already included because ABC is widely known as being a credible source and worth listening to. As long as I used the available means of persuasion and continued to keep to WMAR's writing style, my scripts would be successful. 

Reflection

My writing process consists of three to four steps depending on how picky I am and how much time I have. For the first draft, I tend to rewrite exactly what the release says. This helps me really get the story engrained in my mind. Next, I pick out the pieces that I would want to hear about if I were watching the show. Then, I write an intial version that isn't very entertaining or attention-grabbing, but has the all the pieces that the stories needs. Finally, I think about what it would sound like if the story were to be read aloud. I write the script and then read it back to myself outloud with different intonations on certain words to see how it would sound. Once I am happy with the way it sounds outloud I put it in the grid and hope for the best. 

If I'm having a particularly hard time writing a script, I write, rewrite, and rewrite, until I think it is good enough. I even take time to change one or two words just to see if it would sound better one way or another. This may sound like it takes me a half an hour to write one script, it does not. I just want the script to be as close to perfect before anyone else sees it. 

Through writing my first script, I realized how particular I am when it comes to writing for air. Obviously, if I am familiar with a story, I am able to write a script for it much faster than I would if I wasn't familiar with the story. I also like to do a little extra research outside of the release to make sure I understand everything that happened or is happening. As I continued through the internship, I got faster at writing any type of script, regardless of if I were familiar with it or not. I think it is definitely a skill to have acquire, to be able to write quickly and accurately and to make it sound good for TV.