Editing a Grant

Thus far I have enlisted a very limited number of editors of my grant for the EPA. In the past, I have asked my research mentor and coworkers to review my grants. I think it is best to finish a grant at least three weeks ahead of deadline to leave time to distribute your draft to your team of coworkers and editors to give them plenty of time to pick at your grant and then time enough for you to revise the draft and make all necessary changes for improvement.

Earlier this week, I emailed my nearly complete draft to Tami to look over. She is my boss, and she is only slightly familiar with my work, so I was quite nervous to send it to her. This is normal, I’m told.

According to all the books I’ve read on grant writing, editing a grant is one of the most important stages of a grant, and thus I swallowed my anxiety and just sent it to her, incomplete, asking for her help with the budget and the evaluation sections. I hit a few walls because of my inexperience, so I was honestly looking to her for guidance (collaboration, people). I know that she has written countless grants before, and knows how dense and incomprehensible the solicitation notice can seem at first, so I hope she will perceive my sending an unfinished draft to her as a smart decision instead of a lazy one.

Here’s what my email to her looked like:

“…Regarding the EPA grant, I'd love it if you'd be able to help me complete these sections below. I'm going to keep working on the evaluation section, but I'd really appreciate your input on the work I've done with it so far. I've attached the solicitation notice so you can understand all the parts needed for this grant and how it is scored.

Still to do:

• Standard Form (SF) 424, Application for Federal Assistance
  • SF 424A Budget Information (4 files and forms that are needed to complete these two sections are attached)
  • Budget section in its entirety
  • Elaboration on the "how" and "why" sections of the project description. 

Evaluation section…”

She replied with some encouragement and praise, as well as definite willingness to help me finish up the grant. I am so relieved.

Quick Summary:

1.    Remember to ask for help when you need clarification or guidance.
2.    Ask numerous people to edit your drafts.
3.    Remember to leave time for editing and revision.