The Value of "Grant Writing for Newbies"

This project on grant writing will raise awareness of the inner workings of a non-profit for future PWR students as well as explain the rhetorical strategies involved in the process, like audience analysis, and consulting rhetorical tools such as the rhetorical appeals and the rhetorical triangle. The final project will aid in the transition from schoolwork to organizationally situated authorship. I think that this option for PWR students needs to be taught earlier on in college and emphasized more across disciplines. For example, I didn’t really know what grant writing was until my junior year, and I did not view it as a viable option for me (and my PWR degree) until I took a class on advocacy writing in the fall of my senior year.

This project is PWR in action; the practice of writing grants for a benevolent cause, sharing my process with you and my boss is, as the PWR program has aspired, “not simply a functional art limited to the means of production, but a critical social practice that includes engaging in the cultural production of social ends.”

The point is, really, to explain to anyone with PWR training from Elon that they can attempt to change their little passionate corner of the world by writing for social change, as I will share the highs and lows of my experience, giving others a peek into my brain to offer confidence that they can do it too.