Adelphi Kitchens and Cabinetry Press Release

Context

This was the first press release I wrote at my internship at Reese Advertising, and it announces the launch of Adelphi Kitchens and Cabinetry’s redesigned website. I drafted the release, and my supervisor added some edits once it was completed. The press release was emailed through iContact in order to track the amount of views it received.

Rhetorical Strategies

A press release needs to draw the audience in and state the reasons right away for why the audience should keep reading. Therefore, the title and first sentence need to cover all the necessary information. However, before I began writing, I needed to research the company, so I browsed the website to become familiar with their word choice, style, and tone. Adelphi’s website highlights special features of their cabinetry by using words such as sleek and functional. I took note of this, and I mentioned these words in the press release, ensuring that Adelphi’s identity is consistent across their products, website, and press releases.

Press releases are more likely to be read if they contain an image, so I added three images of screenshots of the website. With these images, I was able to highlight the updated pictures of their products in the photo gallery and the added “In the News” tab. Also, the press release ends with a boiler plate explaining what Adelphi Kitchens and Cabinetry is, and the contact information is clearly visible at the top of the page.

Reflection

I was happy to have been given the opportunity to write this press release at my internship, and having the guidance of a professional helped me learn about the process from research and writing, to revision and delivery. I was able to put the skills and knowledge that I gained into practice when I later wrote a press release for another internship, as well as my PR class. Each time, I felt more comfortable with my final product and use of rhetorical strategies.