Collaborating with Clients

Kenneth Burke discusses that identifying with your audience helps form a connection and enhance collaboration with your audience. However, learning to work with these other individuals, who in some cases are clients, can be a difficult skill to learn. My experience at Elon and at my internships has given me the opportunity to navigate working with and identifying with different types of individuals and personalities. I have worked with clients that like to be involved and updated every step of the way, and on the other hand, I have collaborated with clients that are extremely busy, which leads to practice in discretion and independence.

The three documents that I have included in this section were produced for different clients, and my contextual narratives explain the unique strategies I used with each client based on the context of the situation. With the Annual Report and Recommendation Report, I was held accountable for their completion, and I had more independence with my rhetorical choices. However, the process of completion for the Rack Card required more communication with the client to identify his needs while still using effective rhetorical strategies to share knowledge.