Dr. Michael Zerbe

Hello! My name is Kelsey O'Connell and I'm a senior at Elon University. I will be graduating in May 2014 with a degree in English, Professional Writing and Rhetoric (PWR) and minors in Multimedia Authoring and Creative Writing. 

In my portfolio, you will find a representative sample of the work that I have completed over the course of my undergraduate career. These documents and projects aided in my understanding of Professional Writing and Rhetoric, and I hope they will aid in your understanding of my passions and my undergraduate work. I have separated my portfolio into three sections: Writing and Researching, Editing, and Creating.

Writing and Researching covers the articles I wrote for shots Magazine, my career in undergraduate research as a Lumen Scholar, and the work I've published in professional publications. This section shows how I have adopted a disciplinary identity as a writer, integrated theoretical knowledge and professional practice, and developed an understanding that writing participates in socially constructing the worlds within which we live.

Editing is a section devoted to my work as an editorial assistant, my academic editing work, and my editing work when constructing client documents. This section shows how I have learned to analyze, reflect on, assess, and effectively act within rhetorical situations through working with actual clients. It also shows how I have worked develop rhetorical strategies and heuristics appropriate to specific situations. 

Finally, Creating is the section in which I convey my creative side through examples of artistic projects and multimedia work. This section shows how I have learned to approach a wide variety of communication practices from the perspective of writing and rhetoric. 

Thank you for your time and I hope you enjoy my portfolio!

Sincerely, 

Kelsey O'Connell