The Process

When I found out that our final English paper had to be about a theme in Make Your Home Amongst Strangers and had to be something that you're passionate about or something you can relate to, I knew it had to be about my beloved horse, Mysti who had just tragically, and suddenly passed away. She was my other half and was a major impact on who I am today. I decided to write about my identity crisis In high school and connect it to the novel on how Lizet was unsure about who she was at an American school around American people AND at home around her Cuban friends and family. This topic was relatable to me in the way that I lost myself in school because the people I surrounded myself with were so different from my true character and shared completely different interests. Once I found myself away from home, in Kentucky with Mysti, I suddenly knew who I was. I had a sense of clarity and stability within myself that I don't have at home in California. With help from my peers and my professor, I mapped out how I will go about the writing process of my paper. I conducted interviews from my fellow horse friends that have also lost their horses and conducted research on how being an equestrian affects your development. The paper and the interviews came out great. I am very happy I stuck with a topic that I am so passionate about and something that I can relate to Lizet too. It made the process valuable and memorable.