Writing within the context of a mid-sized organization

Workplace Writing

I completed my summer internship at a company called Whitaker Brothers Business Machines. This company was looking for a marketing and internet division intern and advertised that they were interested in people with strong writing skills. This is the first job that I have had other than working for my family’s company so I did not know what to expect, but the results were more than I could have hoped for. I spent the summer under the supervision of Eric Buhlman who is the Webmaster and a member of the marketing team for Whitaker Brothers. Eric introduced me to the organization and its culture, and by the end of my internship I felt very well integrated and comfortable writing for their organization.

My internship allowed me to write through a variety of genres and contexts, and some of the things that I wrote include a credit application, a demonstrational video script, the content for an entire product line website ( www.martinyaleshredder.com) and a press release once that website was ready for launch. I have included these pieces as well as contextual narratives to demonstrate my understanding of how rhetorical theories and ideas relate to the real-world work that I did. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to complete a Professional Writing and Rhetoric internship and believe that it made me a better writer and more prepared to enter the workforce post-graduation and facilitated my understanding of writing as organizationally situated action.