Welcome

to my senior writing portfolio! My name is Marie Jarvis and I am currently a senior at Elon University in North Carolina. I am originally from Alexandria, Virginia and will be graduating in May of 2011 with a Bachelor of the Arts in English with a concentration in Professional Writing and Rhetoric and a minor in Psychology. When I first declared my major at Elon I decided to major in Corporate Communications and minor in Psychology and Professional Writing and Rhetoric Studies. After taking a few classes in communications, I realized that my heart was in my English classes. After one meeting with one of my favorite English PWR professors to discuss my future at Elon, I was sold. I went directly to the registrar and switched my major to English and haven't looked back since!

The practical nature of the Professional Writing and Rhetoric major has drawn me in from the very beginning. It has given me the opportunity and ability to write across genres and contexts, and allowed me to become a much better writer than I ever could have imagined. I am able to analyze how each text that I produce no matter the purpose, audience, or medium is rhetorically situated. I look forward to joining the discourse community of my field once I conduct my research in senior seminar and completing my Bachelor of the Arts in English. 

Upon graduation I hope to enter the workforce and secure a job that will allow me to utilize my professional writing and rhetoric abilities as most positions do.