Writing as Analysis

Throughout my time as a Professional Writing and Rhetoric student, I have learned the many different facets of analysis. While there are certain aspects of rhetoric that incorporate the act and development of writing, and put emphasis on the writing process, I recognize that there are also components of rhetoric that are focused very intently on analysis. Through my studies, I recognize that analysis is effective in many different platforms. In this section, I have chosen to include documents from ENG 304: Understanding Rhetoric, taken the spring of my sophomore year, and ENG 397: Writing as Inquiry, which concentrated on food and travel writing as a means of research, taken the fall of my senior year.  The documents that I have included from my ENG 304 class are "The Good Man Speaking Well" essay, in which I analyzed readings on Quintilian's perceptions of rhetoric, as well as my project proposal for the Breast Cancer Awareness and Education deliverable featured in my "Writing to Inform" section. I've also included a travel writing review essay on Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun. Each of these pieces exemplifies my analysis of different components of my education: from the analysis of ancient rhetorical works to the analysis of a travel memoir in conjunction with my own experience, to the analysis of purpose and audience in planning the creation of a deliverable. I sincerely hope that this Writing as Analysis section displays the deep thought that I have conducted about my writing, and about the rhetorical situation in which my writing is constructed.