Writing as Recommendation

Writing as a form of recommendation necessitates the inclusion of evidence in regards to the reasons why one is making a recommendation as well as an imploring argument for why the audience would benefit from incorporating the advice. It takes writing to inform to the next level, suggesting action steps to take after reading the information.

As opposed to the focuses of my other sections, this one includes documents which provide opinion-based material derived from rhetorical analysis and synthesis of various situations and documents. One of the purposes of rhetoric is to convey information to an intended audience within a particular context. The context and audience are taken into consideration in these works as I determine the best way to convey my messages.

In order to ensure the appropriate balance between critique and affirmation, I seek to create compelling ways to demonstrate the benefit to various audiences of paying attention to the recommendations I am giving. In the journal article, there is survey-based research, personal experiences, and coded reflection data to bolster our claims, while the recommendation handout is tailored directly to Peacehaven's staff and includes examples of what they are already doing well in addition to what they need to improve. Additionally, the Denmark prostitution policy recommendation paper praises the foundation of the policy currently in existence and provides detailed suggestions of ways to alter it to be more effective. In the car donation request letter, I explain how the dealership will benefit in addition to World Relief from getting the donation. 

These documents show how I can analyze situations, craft recommendations, and convey the derived messages to specific audiences.