Writing as Academic Research

This section focuses on more typical forms of academic research, including research papers that I have completed in various subject areas. Academic research tends to have more regulations that are initially set by a professor which the student is required to follow, while other forms of writing with audiences such as businesses do not have as clear-cut initial guidelines.

My experience with writing traditional, academic research papers has taught me how to follow strict guidlines while allowing for my idea development and synthesis skills to create a well-rounded, effectively articulated argument. By considering the rhetorical situation for each piece, especially the context within which I am writing and the ultimate purpose of the paper, I was able to write stronger research papers.

From my Communications piece on hippie culture and the effects of media portryal on the understanding of the movement, to my Human Rights paper on the policy of moral crimes in Afghanistan, to my Professional Writing & Rhetoric paper on rhetorical theory and application, these documents prove that my research skills apply to a variety of subject areas.

My rhetorical knowledge surpasses the particular department for which I am writing research papers. Even thought these research pieces are not from Professional Writing & Rhetoric courses, they still were heavily influneced by my knowledge of rhetorical strategies and the rhetorical situation. At this point in my career as a Professional Writing & Rhetoric student, I would not be able to ignore my rhetorical approach to writing research papers even if I tried. By this I mean that in every subject area, I consider the prompt and the assignment from a rhetorical perspective, initially analyzing the audience and the context within which I am writing as well as considering the ultimate purpose of the paper before attempting to identify the approach I am going to take to most effectively convey my message. A rhetorical perspective requires intentionality; my approach to research papers is to rhetorically analyze the assignment and then to craft a rhetorically savvy paper.