Looking back at the first surveys the students completed, it was clear to me that many did not know what to expect from a World History course.  Many were unable to list skills they had that would make them successful (or even skills they needed to imrpove).

However, after the first experiential learning project (a mock archeological dig), slightly more than half of the students in the study began to recognize skills they had that would make them successful in future projects.  Skills that students put down included: problem solving, working in groups, organization, and listening to instructions.

By the time the class took the second survey (just before the midterm exam), every student who participated was able to list skills they had that would serve them well, as well as skills they needed to improve.

One question on the second survey asked students how they planned to improve skills that saw as being "weak."  One particularly enlightened student response was "I can improve my listening skills by not sitting near my friends so I know what do to so I won't get frustrated."

At the end of the study it was clear that every student that participated in the study grew in confidence.  As the surveys progressed, they reported that they were "strong" at more skills than they were when the semester started.

Students who participated in experiential learning projects were able to identify skills that they needed to improve to meet specific classroom goals, and then work on improving those skills.  Once students began to see that they were improving, their self efficacy rose.

I noticed in my journal that as students reported that they got better at using historical skills some began to show more confidence by taking on leadership roles.  One Hispanic student who spoke very little at the beginning of the semester volunteered to teach other students how to play chess during the Middle Ages project.