I have a passion for the English language, which in turn has given me a passion for editing. I am fascinated by the subtleties of English grammar, mechanics, structure, and style and how each of those affect communication.

Editing itself goes far beyond proofreading for punctuation and spelling: at some point in the process, content must be examined for its overall effectiveness and structure. Most of the time, the definition of “effectiveness” is determined by the publication itself and the organization in which it is situated. Every publication has its own style guide and limits as to how much a copy editor may change in the original content.

Understanding the ultimate purpose and audience of a publication is also essential for an editor. For example, complex sentence structures may work well for a scholarly piece and not require any revision, but a high level of structural complexity is less effective for works targeted toward younger audiences and may require change.

The documents included in this section illustrate editing as an organizationally situated practice, with additional rhetorical and professional writing connections to audience analysis and collaborative project work.