Context

Both of these pieces were written as part of a travel study on US Highway 64. The concept behind the project was to drive the entirety of the highway's stretch through NC, from the western mountains to the eastern coast. Along the drive we stopped at every town we passed through, took notes on the location, photographed, and tried their local food. Eventually, we were able to compile restaurant reviews, biographies, and information on local culture for every town. Then, this information was compiled onto a website showcasing our research. Furthermore, we conducted a study of NC barbecue, looking at the difference between western and eastern style and how the culture of NC barbecue differs.

Rhetorical Decisions

My first piece included in this section, the "Mountains to Coast" essay, was included in the Highway 64 project as a feature story. It covers a bike trip that spans from the mountains to the coast of NC and spends much of the journey riding down Highway 64. While visiting the town of Brevard on our trip along the highway, we noticed a lot of bicyclists riding around early in the morning. After inquiring about them, a local waitress informed us that they were were participating in the mountains to coast trip. At that point, I decided to write a feature on this event and interviewed bicyclists a well as observed their behavior whenever we saw them stopped in a town. Most of my qualitative research highlighted the specific aspects of the bikers such as their average age and outlook on the event.

I wanted to sell this piece as positive support for both the Cycle North Carolina  bike trip as well as the scenic beauty and culture of Highways 64. Therefore, after obtaining as much first-hand research as I could on our weekend trip, I came back to continue heavily researching at home. I combined   specific data about the trip and it's participants along with convincing information about why this trip draws such a large audience. I emphasized that much of the draw was due to aesthetic beauty of historical significance that lied along Highway 64. I mentioned individual accounts of participants who highlighted the importance of what each town along the journey had to offer, and the scenic marvel they witnessed riding across NC at the peak of fall. Specifically, I write that this trip promotes "healthy lifestyles and provide[s] economic impact to North Carolina’s rural communities". These aspects clearly drew appeal toward the trip as well as to the highway, thus accomplishing both of my goals.

My next piece is chosen from the same project. It serves as an ethnographic analysis of Stamey's barbecue restaurant in Greensboro, NC. My goal when going into the restaurant was to observe and note-take nonstop in order to take in as much information about the restaurant as I could. This technique allows me to give an accurate representation of how the restaurant functions on any given day. My observations include the people, workers, food, and atmosphere of the restaurant. It involved me absorbing just about every minute detail going on during our approximate half hour stay inside. Only this way was I able to give my audience a clear lens into one of North Carolina's most well known barbecue restaurants. This piece was the first of its kind that I had attempted. I believe that it strongly identifies my skill in observation, recording of information, and then transcription of events into an effective final ethnographic analysis of a specific context.

Reflection

Most of all, these pieces exemplify my experience and capability in first-hand, qualitative research. While completing these specific assignments, as well as others within this project, I honed my note-taking and transcription skills. This led me to produce much more accurate, informed analysis of different people, places, or events. Furthermore, it helped me when attempting to rhetorically analyze other situations, increasing my ability to take in every detail then sort out what is most important or effective for whatever it is I am producing. I believe that my experience deeply researching and note-taking in person, then reflecting, had given me a much more keen view into what is most important toward the core of a given context. In other words, what I can take out of something in order to convey a specific, or conversely enveloping, idea toward my audience.